This Heritage listed building was earthquake strengthened and redeveloped into apartments on the top two levels with retail and office space on the ground floor.
- 14 x 2-3 bedroom apartments on the top two levels, including air-conditioning systems
- Retail and office space on the ground level
- Window replacement throughout the building to Heritage standard
- Micro piling was installed 14m down to the bedrock in order to earthquake strengthen the entire building
- Comprehensive scaffolding was installed over the existing building throughout construction
- Heritage aspects of all stairwells and the existing lift were maintained
- Front fascia was maintained to the heritage standards
The windows of the building were replaced with new heritage designed and approved steel windows. ADC worked with the window manufacturer to design a template for the new steel windows so that they looked the same as the original ones and also met the heritage standard required. Perspex infills were installed to the window cavities, so the building remained weather tight and construction could continue.
All the decks on the building required new screed as well as part of the roof which also had to be re-laid. We worked with consultants to come up with cost effective solutions while also looking at relevant labour resourcing to stay within programme.
The decks on the North face of the building were constructed on the ground and craned into place. This reduced the risk of working at heights, there was no need for scaffolding and it saved on time and labour costs.
All the Jib used for the interior was craned into the building by the pallet through a hole in the roof, this saved on time and labour costs as it would have had to have been taken in the building up the stairs all by hand.
The client was heavily involved in the project, working with ADC through the Heritage requirements and the window and deck variations to ensure they were happy with the solutions and the end result. Good relationships with the client enabled us to work closely with them to come up with cost effective solutions and work with available resources.
We also had good working relationship with the subcontractors on the project and this enabled us to call on them to turn it around quicker.